French as a Leaving Certificate subject aims to bring students closer to fluency in the French language, as well as developing a good knowledge of literature, culture, geography and national history, in order to provide a context for communication. Senior Cycle French builds on the knowledge acquired for the Junior Certificate.
Why Study French
- This subject may be a requirement for entry to third level and can be used as a third language for entry to a number of courses. See entry requirements for individual colleges.
- This subject is a useful foundation for students with an interest in studying French at third level, or considering a career in a French speaking environment or country.
What kind of student would French suit?
- Anyone with an interest in French culture, history, and language.
- Students who are considering working in France, Canada, the EU or in the area of international relations in the future.
- Students who can already speak French and want easy points.
- It is highly advisable that students spend some time in a country where the target language is spoken.
- Students who have shown an aptitude for French at Junior Certificate level are encouraged to continue with it in Senior Cycle.
- A third language is an entry requirement of a number of third level colleges and may be a specific requiremnt for certain courses. Always check individual college and course details for current information.